Training Week: 01MAR 2015 – 07MAR2015

This week went really well!  I was actually able to run all 7 days without having to cut any distances short and finish it with cross-training.  The only sad thing was that 5 of the 7 runs this week were on the dreaded treadmill.

Sunday I went out for my weekly 6-miler.  I took this pace slightly easier than I did the week before.  I really was not into this run at all.  I was originally going to run the usual 6 mile loop I do through the main road but I really didn’t want to run hills that morning.  I ended up doing 3 miles in the community across from us then 3 on the main road.  I honestly was just so glad for that run to be over.

Monday was the usual short run and core training.  The run wasn’t too horrible and I felt pretty good afterwards.  Tuesday I ended up doing my 5K indoors as opposed to outdoors.  It was fairly chilly outside and the roads were still horribly icy as a result.  Running on the machine was just the smarter solution that day.

Wednesday was run and weights day again.  My quads were screaming on this run due to some intense squats I did on Monday.  They had hurt Tuesday but Wednesday they felt even worse.  I have no doubt that it wasn’t probably because of the run.  Still, I was able to press on and get those miles done.

Thursday we got slammed with snow.  We got a good 6-7 inches and it snowed the entire day.  I spent some time shoveling out our driveway so my husband would be able to park when he came home.  I’ve made Thursdays my “rest” days as this is the day I typically head to Hopkins for therapy.  With a late afternoon appointment I don’t get home until closer to 6 and we end up eating dinner around that time.  I tend to get my evening runs in after our daughter’s bedtime (7 PM) so I typically eat closer to 5 PM on the other days.  With us eating so late this day, I really can’t stomach a longer run.  My 1 mile “rest” days work out great these days.  However, my appointment was canceled due to weather.  I stuck with the 1 mile plan and surprised myself with how quickly I ran it.  I usually run by feel on these runs and I guess I was feeling pretty well this day!

Friday was speed work day!  I did my usual 5 minute warm up, 25 minute speed, and 5 minute cool down.  I completed the 5 intervals at 7.8, 8.0, 8.2, 8.4, and 8.6 MPH.  I actually felt pretty great during each interval.  I didn’t feel the need to “catch” myself on the handlebars for a few seconds like I sometimes do when I feel a bit overexerted.  I’m sure watching Wheel of Fortune and shouting out answers to the TV probably helped keep me distracted from the pain, lol.

Saturday I felt like utter crap.  I don’t know what was up but the entire day I just felt dizzy and unable to eat anything.  I tried hydrating all day in hopes that maybe I just hadn’t had enough water but it didn’t help.  Still, I decided to go for my scheduled 5K anyway.  I planned to do laps around our community so I figured that if I didn’t feel well after a mile or two, I would cut the run short and call it a day.  After the first few minutes I felt great, though!  I was pleased to clock splits at 8.09, 7:20, and 7:08.  I haven’t run sub-7:45 paces outdoors in a while.  This made me dance a little inside =).

I am definitely proud about this week’s results.  I do wish I didn’t have to run indoors so much, though.  I get such cabin fever when I’m stuck on the hamster wheel.  Hopefully this week will be better.  We’re supposed to get temperatures in the 40s and 50s all week.  I’m hoping this will melt all the snow/ice so that running outside isn’t so unpredictable.  I’m definitely not a fan of slipping and sliding!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s