2nd Annual Navy-Air Force Half Marathon and Navy 5 Miler – 2013

This past weekend I ran my second race since my fracture.  I really wasn’t feeling up to this run so I just told myself I would aim for a finish.

The packet pick up was very nice and organized.  It was at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling.  It was a super tiny expo compared to what I’ve been to but it was extremely nice.  I ended up buying a pair of New Balance Minimus cross-trainers for only $50.  They were ones that a customer tried out for a run or two and didn’t like.  They were practically brand new so I didn’t hesitate to get them.  After we were done there, we checked into the Marriot and met a friend for dinner.

For the run I had packed a tank top and shorts.  It was really warm for the RnR so I assumed that this would be no different.  I was wrong.  It was 54 when we left for the start.  Luckily I had packed my Brookes lightweight jacket so I wore that during our walk to the start.  Once we were there I drank my pre-race drink (some form of Starbucks coffee..tall size so I wouldn’t overwhelm my bladder, lol).  Runners separated themselves since there were no corrals.  That kind of sucked but people were actually pretty good at separating themselves.  Before I knew it we were off.


During the first half of the run


After the turn-around point (half-way mark).  I was feeling great


After I crossed the finish line

There really isn’t much to comment about this race.  It was a really pleasant run and almost entirely flat.  There were two gradual inclines and they were at the first mile and right before the turnover point.  We ran the entire time along the Potomac River and through a park (I’m not sure which park as I am not too familiar with the DC area).  I really enjoyed it.

They served Gatorade at the water stations which was great after I hit the 8 mile marker.  They didn’t have GU or anything else, though, which kind of sucked since I usually need it for those last 3 miles.  Still, I was able to run the first 8-9 miles without stopping.  I really felt great during the run.  After that I stopped twice: once because my thigh started to lock up and once because my hip flexor started to lock up.  Once I stretched it, though, I didn’t have an issue picking my pace back up.  I was able to maintain about a 9 minute pace which was slow to me but pretty good consider my lack of training.  I ended up finishing 995th at 1:58:40.  It’s not a PR but it’s definitely a lot better than my RnR time.  Once we crossed the finish we received out challenge coins and water.  They didn’t have much in the sense of post-race food but I wasn’t feeling their food anyway.  They had bananas, apples, cookies, muffins, and gummy candy.  I ended up buying a pretzel on my walk back to our hotel (it had to be the most delicious tasting pretzel I’ve ever had).  Izzy ate my banana so the food didn’t go to waste, lol.



Challenge coin front and back

After I showered back out our hotel we checked out and started heading home.  We did get stopped, though, on Pennsylvannia Avenue by Secret Service Police.  Why?  Because the POTUS was on his way out.  I got to see his 9ish SUV escort, police escort, and personal fire truck/ambulance go by.  I definitely was really cool.


Super official cop car



The race was a great time and I would definitely run it again =).  Up next is the Crawlin’ Crab in Hampton in 2 weeks.  Here’s hoping for more improvement!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s